A government department in Canberra requires the services of Data Tools Support Officer - Australian citizen only.
The Department is seeking a highly motivated individuals to provide support to staff to extract, transform, and load data using SAS software and to validate incoming data using the in-house validation tool. This role would suit someone who has existing skills and experience in SAS, or someone with strong skills and experience in an equivalent tool, such as Python and R, who can demonstrate the technical aptitute to quickly develop the SAS skills needed for the role through self-learning, on-the-job and formal training. The role requires excellent communication skills with the ability to convey technical ideas to a non-technical audience and the motivation to help people resolve issues. The day-to-day work of the role entails providing hands on assistance and advice to SAS users across the business. The successful applicant will also contribute to the review of AIHW’s analytical toolkit, including the use of R and Python.
The primary role of the position is to provide support for SAS and in-house validation tool to the staff. This will involve a range of activities, including resolving ad hoc issues, providing one-on-one support and training, and developing user guides and training material. The position is will also be responsible for contributing to the review of the analytical toolkit, including the use of R and Python.
The successful candidate will be provided with support and training in SAS software, as required. The candidate will work as part of a small team within SCU that is responsible for delivering a range of SAS support and data loading functions.
SAS and SAS Enterprise Guide are the primary tools for data preparation, analysis, quality assurance and production of tables and graphs for reports. SAS is widely used across the organisation, with around 250 current SAS users that hold a wide range of skills and experience. With 36 different statistical areas, SAS is applied in a wide variety of situations, from doing simple tasks to wrangling complex data and performing complex analysis and reporting. SAS users are supported by a small centralised team within SCU, by online guides and materials, and an established in-house suite of training courses delivered by a qualified trainer.
Under general direction, provide ongoing support to staff in relation to SAS by;
• Resolving ad hoc SAS user support requests
• Providing one-on-one SAS support and training
• Developing guides, support materials and maintaining relevant Intranet/SharePoint pages
• Establishing and maintaining an SAS community
• Providing group training if requested by areas
• Directly participating in projects as a SAS developer
• Support staff using the in-house Validation tool
• Assist will basic data loading tasks
• Providing support with other software such as R and Python as required
1. Technical expertise and experience in SAS or the technical aptitude to develop skills in SAS on the job. Skills in other data tools, such as Python or R will be considered valuable.
2. Well-developed oral and written communication skills
3. Well-developed ability to develop productive relationships
4. Well-developed organisational skills, including the ability to determine priorities, develop local strategies, procedures and work practices.
5. Demonstrates personal drive and integrity.
Australian citizen only
Length of Contract: 6 months with possible extensions up to 12 months
The role closes 2pm 12th July 2020